Object Name: Barnard 163
Object Type: Dark Nebula
As far as I can tell from the Simbad Astronomical Database, Barnard 163 includes both of the dark nebulae near the center of this field. Simbad labels the Rorschach-like flying goose as Barnard 163 and the smaller dark nebula toward the center of the frame is labeled as Barnard 163 SW.
Barnard 162 is at the bottom center and Barnard 160 is at the bottom right of the frame.
Acquisition Date: August 21, 2019
Location: Tierra del Sol, San Diego County, California
• Imaging Scope – Takahashi MT-200 with Takahashi 0.8 x reducer
• Imaging Camera – ZWO ASI1600MM-C with EFW2
• Filters – Baader 36mm unmounted hydrogen alpha filter
• Guiding – Borg 77ED with ZWO ASI120MM-S
• Mount – Astro-Physics 900GTO
Camera Control – Sequence Generator Pro
Guider control – PHD2
• Imaging Camera – gain 200, offset 50 – cooled to -15
• Exposures – 45 x 270s exposures – 3.4 hours total exposure time
PixInsight and Photoshop CC were used to process the images.
• PixInsight –
⁃ Image calibration, alignment and integration
⁃ MultiscaleLinearTransform for noise attenuation
⁃ HistogramTransformation for histogram adjustment
• Photoshop –
– light application of minimum filter
– light application of high pass filter
⁃ additional adjustments to histogram
Thanks for looking. Click on the image below for a higher resolution version.